February 23, 2010

First pictures of our baby


Last week, Lisa and I took our first visit to the prego doc. Driving there was a little surreal knowing for the first time we were going to see/hear our baby. Thanks to NBC and FRIENDS, my biggest fear was not being able to see our little guy (oops, or girl :) ). O, how television over-exaggerates everything.

For some reason I thought I was going to have to watch my wife get into "stirrups" (I think that's what their called) and feel grossly awkward. Lucky for me, our first visit didn't need anything from me except to answer, "Is this the father?" All I had to do was sit and watch while the nurse plastered Lisa's belly with goo.

2 seconds later there it was, on a screen in the corner of the room, Baby Benk.




Clear as day. Looked like Mr. Peanut laying down, without a cane and top hat of course. Amazing. Beautiful. Real. Until this point all we had were 5 (don't judge me, had to make sure) sticks that used to say "Pregnant" as reality. Now I'm starring into my wife's stomach at our little baby. Not only were we able to see the baby, but also got to hear the heartbeat.
That's healthy by the way. In the first picture the mouse is pointing right at the heart. We could see it beating. It sounded like a horse race, that's how fast it was beating. Fluttering is a more accurate description.

Walking away from our first visit, I think Lisa and I were both so overwhelmed with what we just saw and hear, when we got in the car, we didn't know what to say. It was beautiful and sobering. We're going to be parents, and we couldn't be more excited .

Lastly, it would be a shame for me to glory in what we have and not praise the One responsible for such a gift. We are humbled that God would allow us fertility to have a baby. When you see the pain that plagued Abraham and Sarah during her barrenness and their longing to have a child that they had no control over, it humbles me greatly that God would bless us this way. And it burdens us deeply to see our friends who empathize with Abraham and Sarah. Thankful that God fulfilled his promise to Abraham as He is also faithful to fulfill his promises to us, that we are undeserving of.

Thankful. Humbled. Blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Yey! I'm so excited, and thank you for doing this Skoush! I must say I'm proud of you for starting something that requires writing ;) Keep it up! Henry and I love staying involved via blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First---YAY! Second---God is so smart---he gives us about 9 months to used to the idea of being parents! Not only that, towards the end Mommy wont get much sleep because of being uncomfortable and needing to potty, preparing us parents for those late night feedings. I will let you know in a few weeks if it was truly adequate preparation. Third---are yall going to find out the gender? Its super fun not to. It's the one true surprise in life.

    So happy for yall! Wish we were both still in Bham so we could have play dates since our little ones will only be about 6 months apart.

    ReplyDelete